Smith & Solomon is a leader in commercial driver training programs, with more than 3 decades of instruction and over 50,000 graduates. The organization has nine schools in three states and a fleet of more than 140 trucks, forklifts and buses.
The organization’s headquarters is located in Linden, NJ, but they also have schools in New Castle, Delaware, and Dupont, Pennsylvania. They are an Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) compliant provider.
Smith and Solomon CDL Training Programs
Smith & Solomon offers both CDL A training programs as well as refresher courses and endorsement training. They focus heavily on safety and teaching students responsibility when out on the road in a tractor-trailer.
All of their schools are staffed by experienced instructors. In addition, small class sizes mean that students receive the individual attention they need to succeed.
CDL Training Program – CDL A: Tractor Trailer Training (160 Hours)
Smith & Solomon’s core CDL A training course offers 160 hours of instruction. The course prepares students for getting their CDL A and their first job as a truck driver.
- The first week of the course is classroom-based. Students will learn everything they need to know for their written permit test.
- The next portion of the course is hands-on. Students will move to the yard to learn about making maneuvers and performing inspections.
- Finally, students learn how to drive a tractor trailer on the road under the careful guidance of one of their licensed instructors.
Smith & Solomon provide continued training until students are ready for and pass the test.
Throughout training, students will be educated on:
- DOT rules and regulations
- Log books
- Map reading and trip planning
They also offer training for:
- Tanker endorsement
- Doubles & Triples endorsement
- HazMat endorsement
Who is This Course For?
The CDL A: Tractor Trailer course is for anyone interested in obtaining their CDL A for the first time. It provides the intensive training needed to prepare for the CDL exam and entry-level trucking jobs.
To get started with the course, students only have to meet a few requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age for in-state driving and 21 years of age for OTR
- Have a valid driver’s license in their state of residence
- Pass a DOT physical and drug test
Smith & Solomon offers several training options to meet the needs of students, including full-time and nights and weekends.
- Weekday training is Monday-Thursday, 7:30 am – 5:30 pm
- Weekend training is Saturday and Sunday 7:00 am – 4:30 pm
Smith & Solomon is a rarity in the training industry because they do not charge any additional fees for continued training if students do not pass their tests.
Along with their CDL training course, Smith & Solomon also offers refresher courses that are either 40 or 160 hours in length. These are courses for individuals who already have a CDL but haven’t driven in 6+ months.
Refresher courses are only available at their Linden, NJ location.
During training, students will drive a truck in the yard to refresh their pre-trip inspection and close quarters driving skills. The next step is to hit the road with one of the organization’s experienced instructors to practice their skills in real-life traffic scenarios.
Along with driver training, Smith and Solomon offers corporate services to help with employee evaluation and ensure that drivers have important safety training. Their training services include:
- Tanker safety and awareness
- Driver evaluations
- Mountain driving
- Cargo securement
- Winter driver training
- Hours of service seminars
- Drug and alcohol testing programs
- Pre-hire and new hire evaluations
- Incident reduction program
Many major corporations use Smith and Solomon for their training needs, including Amazon, Amtrak, Coca Cola, Federal Aviation Administration, Port Authority of NY & NJ, FedEx, UPS, USPS, United Auto Workers, Pennsylvania Independent Waste Haulers Association, NJ Department of Transportation and more.
Their long and impressive list of clients is a testament to the quality of the training offered by Smith and Solomon. Aspiring students can rest assured that they will receive first-rate training from experienced instructors.
Smith & Solomon Accreditation
Smith and Solomon is registered and licensed by the:
- New Jersey State Motor Vehicle Commission
- Delaware State Division of Motor Vehicles
- Delaware Department of Education
- Pennsylvania State Board of Private Licensed Schools
The organization is also a member of the following:
- New Jersey Motor Truck Association
- National Safety Council
- American Trucking Association
- Better Business Bureau
- Pennsylvania Motor Truck Association
- Commercial Vehicle Training Association
The Admissions Process
The admissions process is a simple and straightforward one. First, students must meet the requirements listed above.
The next steps are simple:
- Fill out the online form to get in touch with an admissions coordinator.
- Speak with your coordinator over the phone to learn more about their course options and payment options.
- Attend your DOT physical appointment.
- Visit the nearest school location to begin your training.
Smith & Solomon Job Placement
Smith and Solomon have a dedicated job placement department. The department works diligently to help students transition directly to an entry-level position after obtaining their CDL A.
The organization’s job placement unit has a strong network of recruiters from major trucking companies and updates their job lists weekly. Recruiters are invited to all of their locations on a regular basis.
Smith and Solomon’s job placement partners include:
- U.S. Xpress
- Covenant Transport
- CDL Job Now
Smith & Solomon offers continual job placement. Their job placement specialists are committed to helping students secure their first job after training.